The JHU Recycling Program is committed to increasing recycling by making disposal of recyclable materials easy for students, faculty, and staff around campus and within all academic, office, and housing buildings.
We have strategically placed bins for recycling and trash disposal next to each other along the exterior walkways on campus. Recycling containers for bottles and cans are designated with a white band and lid labeled recycling; regular trash cans are unmarked. Within campus buildings, color coded bins for collecting various waste materials can be found in hallways and common areas.
- Blue: mixed paper, labeled "Paper Only"
- Green: commingled plastics and aluminum, labeled "Bottles and Cans"
- Yellow: compostable and/or biodegradable materials
- Gray or black containers: trash only
Computers and associated materials, such as toner cartridges and batteries, will be picked up from buildings and offices by request. Please do not place these items in recycling bins.
To request recycling services, including bins for your area, toter deliveries, or pickup for special items, please submit an online request or call 410-516-8063.
Event support is made in conjunction with Plant Operations and can also be requested online.
Routine Collection Services
- General recycling pickup: mixed paper, cardboard, mixed aluminum, glass, plastic (1-7) (in designated locations)
- Composting pickup (in designated locations)
Supplemental Recycling Services (Potential Fee)
We will pick up these items upon request, or they can be dropped off at Wyman Park, Building 3:
- Batteries (phone, camera, alkaline, regular, rechargeable)
- Electronics and peripherals (computers, cell phones, laser/inkjet toner cartridges)
- Bulk paper or cardboard
These items can be dropped off at the specified locations:
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs CFLs: drop off at the Homewood Campus Electric Shop in the basement of Whitehead Hall
- Waste oil: drop off at the Homewood Auto Shop, 3155 Remington Avenue
Event Support is provided by request in conjunction with Custodial Services and Plant Operations for a nominal fee.
- Delivery of recycling and compost bins prior to events and pickup afterward
Contact the Service Center at 410-516-8063 and provide as much detail about the requested service as possible. One of our staff will contact you to schedule an appointment to discuss your needs and provide an estimate.
Need more information about our Recycling and Composting program? Take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions.